Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

How to Build a DIY Cedar Potting Bench

Step-by-step tutorial for building a wood potting bench.

This DIY potting bench build is MUCH easier than you'd think to build. The cuts are all simple and we put it together with a drill and screws. 

I’ve always wanted a potting bench…you know, for all the plants I can’t keep alive. ;) I wanted it for planting, but also for entertaining. A separate spot to put ice, drinks, food, whatever...sounded awesome.

So the potting bench was the perfect answer and my Dad said he’d help me build one. He came over and I showed him my inspiration photo:
pottery barn abbott island
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. 
See my policies and disclosure page for more information.

That would be the Abbott Islandfrom Pottery Barn (of course) and it is pretty awesome, yes? The price is pretty awesome too -- as in I’m pretty awesomely going to pass out, $2,500. (!!)
 
Dad’s response? “We can totally do that.”

OK, I added the totally…he didn’t say that part. But he knew we could do it!

We talked about what type of wood I wanted to use. Initially I wanted cedar (because it would hold up best outside) but it is more expensive. Then Dad asked if I’m good about putting outdoor stuff away or covering it for the winter.

My response was a quick and definite NO. 

So we went with cedar. :)
cedar for outdoor wood projects

That's my Dad way up there!

We got our lumber supplies -- two 4 x 4’s, a few 1 x 4’s and a bunch of 1 x 6’s. (If you have no idea what I’m talking about, I’ll show you those in a video below.)

We cut the 4 x 4’s to 36 inches, then stood them up to start our design. They are the front and back legs:
Easy potting bench tutorial

We cut the 1 x 4’s to the length we needed (more on that in a bit), then attached them with screws to the top of each 4 x 4 and about a foot from the bottom of each as well (for the bottom shelf I wanted):

Read the full post

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar