I received a free book on my Kindle a couple of years ago called The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley and I really enjoyed it, so when I saw another of her books, Sophie's Secret, offered for just 99p I decided I'd download it. I'm really pleased I did as it's one of the best books I've read for a while.
I mentioned recently how hard I was finding getting into a book, well it wasn't a case of that with this book, I was hooked right from the start. Both of the books I've read by this author have covered two time periods and it's a style of writing which she executes very well.
As well as telling the story of Carrie McClelland, a best selling author, the book slips back in time to the beginning of the eighteenth century when Queen Anne was on the British throne and James III of England, James VIII of Scotland, was attempting to regain power. I know nothing of this period and although this is a work of fiction, there's lots of historical fact included which was very well researched. It had me googling names and places as I found I wanted to learn more.
It's a bit like a book within a book as the historical part is told through the pages of the latest book which Carrie is writing, I found this rather clever.
This is a book I'd definitely recommend, I didn't want it to end.
If you want to know what else I've been reading lately, you can find a list in the sidebar. This shows all the books I've read this year and there's also lists of the books I've read right back to 2012.


0 Yorumlar