The courtyard garden at the hospital in Summerside, Prince Edward Island is tended by volunteers from the Summerside Garden Club. That's how I became involved with the garden, through the garden club and our family's experience with the hospital.
Our first born granddaughter was a reluctant newborn whose life was saved by the staff at that hospital. We sat in a room in that building,
afraid that our baby girl would not survive. I noticed that garden, covered in snow at that time. Later, I wanted to give back in some way.
Work in the garden was a nice break from the work with people I had done for my entire career.
Volunteers are organized into teams from May to October and work on a schedule.
While we work, hospital staff often drop by to thank us for our efforts.
On occasion, patients have been wheeled into the garden as well. For staff and patients alike, the garden is a welcome sight and space amid the life and death decisions of the facility.
By September, the garden is in its late season colour.
It is still beautiful, but many plants are ready for the rest to come in the next number of months.
Next month, we will put the plants to bed for the long sleep.
This past summer, it was the scene of a wedding as well. The garden is a beautiful, silent witness to all aspects of life. It is an honour to be part of it.

0 Yorumlar